Singer Kayshawn Mccoy's Interview on The Selena Slamour Show: Why Kayshawn Mccoy won't stay our little secret anymore

Ladies and Gents,

this is the moment you've been waiting for. 

I am pretty sure that there are a lot of people out in this world who are looking for new songs, artists who stand out and express their feelings as well as emotions in an incredibly unique and relatable way.

Selena Gomez Selena Gomez Selena Gomez

Well guess what: 

The 21 year old singer Kayshawn Mccoy is our little secret who will be filling stadiums worldwide in the very near future. That's what I'm tellin' y'all!


With more than 300.000+ streams on Spotify and an amazingly supportive fanbase which grows internationally, Kayshawn has already made his way into the music industry.


Since Kayshawn and I have been following each other for many years, I decided to bring him on my show and talk to him about his life as an aspiring singer, projects he has already worked on/ might be working on and so much more!


Turn on Kayshawn's music as loud as you can and dive deep into the conversation Kayshawn and I had, LET'S GO!!!





Kayshawn, Hi!

How's it going?


It's going good! How are you?

I'm amazing, it's so nice to talk with you!


Thank you! I am SO excited for this. Honestly Heartbreak Hotel and everything, that is so amazing!

Thank you so much! It's been a lot of fun, it's been a good two days so far.


Really- that is amazing to hear! Honestly I have to say Heartbreak Hotel broke my heart but in a positive way.

Ok great haha!


It is so good!

Thank you so much! It was a long time coming. You know, putting out the last one back in April and coming back with a whole new one and like reimagining it.


That is so cool. I mean, how is the process of making it because the song is really cool and I've seen the post where you've been working with amazing producers and everything, so how was that?

Honestly, it was incredible. I started working on this project, I believe it was around May or so - like after the first one came out. This was already like an idea of "Ok cool, we're gonna do an acoustic version" then it was like "Ok cool, we have to actually make a whole new version'' and we had to ditch the old one. And so I actually started working again back home and so I was driving up in the middle of the night to go to the studio, create it and then driving back. Sometimes I'd be like "ugh I don't like that too much", so then I'd drive right back up for two hours. Hahah, it was insane! But it was such a fun process to just watch the guys make the production, send it to me and be like "Do you like this?"- and me being like "Oh yeah, I love that!". Now it is what it is now. It's just so much fun, and it's definitely me with like the big chorus but let the verses be kinda soft and dramatic. I love that. 


Kayshawn Mccoy working on his songs in the studio
Kayshawn Mccoy working on his songs in the studio



Honestly, I've been listening to it on YouTube for the longest time. But it wasn't available anymore all of  sudden. But now we have a new version, so I guess that is - you know - really great!

Oh, yes! Hahah, sorry about that.


What would your advice be for upcoming singers or artists who are trying to get into the studio but don't really find the producer who has this eye for what the song is going to be about ( or the inspiration ) ? Because most of the time, if you go to a producer, they want to get paid for it. But how do you find someone who is perfect to create the song with?

Honestly, that's like the most important part. If not close to it, I think that you have to find somebody who understands you and exactly what you want, like your creative direction. And so with the producers that I work with, I did pay them but it was more so that we had to kinda have an agreement of "Ok, who's gonna be writing this song? Who's gonna be producing? What am I allowed to say in terms of it ?". And I think that's exactly why we had to do this version. It's because, you know, sometimes you get too excited and you're ready to make a song and you wanna have the right person to produce it And it comes out and all of a sudden you're like "Oh boy, this person doesn't want me to have a remix of the song- oh boy, this person doesn't want me do to this and this", you know? So I definitely think it's very important that you find producers that you like and that are right up in your alley in terms of your vibe with the song, for sure.


Kayshawn Mccoy photographed by Will Williams for his single Heartbreak Hotel




Right! And how did you do that? I mean, did you start searching for them on Google or have you been friends, how did that happen ?

Honestly, it was very organic. Michael Heller, he was the first one to reach out to me. He actually was on my Instagram and he was like "Hey I love the song, I would love to work with you". And so after talking with him I was like "Hey, do you wanna produce the track? Like remake it with me ?": And so, that's exactly what happened. It was just so much fun to do that with him. And then his roommate Daniel Smith was also a producer and he like mixed it and things like that. So they both jumped on board and made the song what it is now. And I love working with like more than just one producers 'cause then you get like the "extra-ear'' to help figure it out. They're just so cool.



And how did you get into music? I've been honestly following you for the longest time and you've come so far. You have so many streams, I've seen that!

Thank you so much! Hahah, it's been crazy. Honestly, when I was 18 - I mean I've been singing since I was a kid - but when I was 18 and I moved to Charleston for school I met this producer who was like "Hey, I work at home- I have a homestudio and we'd love you to come over". He played me this demo of Wide Eyes that's on my EP. I was like "Ok, this is great", so he finished that song, finished writing it and put it out. He was just like "Hey, I am having so much fun. We should coninue to do this.". So we made an EP and then as the second single Save Your Love. So that's pretty much how it all happened. And then he moved away, so I had like this time of "Ok, we need to write, we need to find out who you wanna work with" because that's very important. So I just took time to write, get to know myself again and figure out where I wanted to go with everything.  



 


That's crazy amazing. 

Thank you!


I have seen on your Instagram that Charlie from Good Luck Charlie on Disney Channel ( Mia Talerico ) send you a video message! I mean, how did that happen?

Cameo! I got a Cameo from her. She was so sweet. Yeah, I like went on to the Cameo App and you can actually send "Hey, can you say this or that?". And so, it was just so much fun. For sure. She's so sweet. She's just iconic so I had to reach out to see if she could like make a message. 


Yeah, I love that! And next to music, since we're talking about Disney- I've seen that you've been to that one Disney audition. Do you only make music or even do acting? I think that is such a big circle. I mean being an artist and doing all those creative things, you always find your inspirations. So, you've been to a Disney audition! How did that happen? For people who want to go to Disney auditions.

Well, yeah it was just like.. I was in ninth grade, Ill never forget it. And I just started High School and I told my mom I found out that we had the Disney Channel casting call. They hardly ever do them but it's like open to the public, it was huge! It was a moment to North Carolina and I was like "Mom, I wanna go!". So shee drived me up to North Carolina, like an hour and a half we get there and I auditioned for them! And actually, the little side that they gave me was kinda based on like Charlie and it was so cool! But acting was like my first love. I didn't even know that I was gonna get into singing and do like what I am doing now.


Kayshawn Mccoy\"s Disney Channel Audition



Really??

I really had no clue this was gonna happen, hahah! This was definitely a pivot 'cause it was all acting, it was all dancing. And I did sing, but it wasn:t like something I was like "I don't think I'm good enough". You know what I mean?


Yeah, I know!

And so here we are! But yeah - that's how I kinda started with acting and doing that Disney Channel thing, you know. 


Yeah, that's great! See, the dots are all connected. 

Honestly, it's so like full-circle. I'm grateful for like the journey and just to be like where I am right now, for sure.


All those people who are living in Europe they are kind of dreaming of going to Disney Auditions to be honest. I mean I'm obsessed with Disney and if I would be in the US and I was able to go to a Disney Audition I would honestly cry! I mean that is amazing!!

Hahah! It's a great experience, honestly. Just to be able to audition and be in the room is a privilege. I'm very grateful for the opportunity that I can like look back and say like "I got to do it", for sure. 


What is the experience of going to an audition like? I mean, do you need to have a resume or anything like that? Because there is a difference between Open Calls and auditions where you have to sign up for online. 

Right. Honestly, I don't have an agent or anything - so I am not familiar with that side of it all. I know like when you have the agents they like book the auditions and get you in. But with this one it was more so like we've found it online, you show up at this time and you come in with a like ( you can get ) a headshot. So they literally told me like "You can take a picture on your phone/ a camera and then put it on.. just print it out". So I came in with that. I didn't have much of a resume! I did one thing but uhm... "Glee" back in like middle school where I was like in a music video. 


Kayshawn Mccoy


Wow!

So that was like my one thing on the resume, hahah. It was a lot of fun! And then I think I told them like that I was on the "Shake It Up - Make Your Mark Dance Off Competition" commercial thing where they like show off different-


No way!

Yeah, I was on like one of the little videos!


Really??

Yeah! They featured it so it was a lot of fun. I mean it was honestly just a really cool experience. You get there, it's just a ton of people and there's just like this convention center and it's like nothing but rows of chairs where anyone can sit down and you like go over the lines. They give you your sides and I'm sitting there trying to like learn it while also looking at everyone else! I'm tying to take it all in, I'm like 14 at the time so I'm like "This could be my big break on Disney Channel..." hahah! It was a lot of fun.


Hahah, true! You never know what happens.

You never know! It's still in the cards, I'd audition again. I think I still can make it. I'm young, you know so...hahah, maybe I could be something. 


Kayshawn Mccoy photographed by Ella Neugebauer and Will Williams



But Disney Auditions always also require to sing, you know. You need to have that "singing-talent". 

Yeah! Puh, they got 'em -  I'll pass on that one hahah! 


Yeah, hahah! And Kayshawn, what would your advice be for upcoming singers/ people who don't really have the connections or friends? People who want to start making songs especially, what would you say?

Absolutely, yeah. Honestly, for me - I started out doing covers on Instagram and YouTube. And that was how the producer that first like did my record found me. He found me through Instagram and he was like "Hey, I love your voice! I love what you like and just the singers that you're covering". And so I would definitely say: Put the covers out there, be consistent with it. I used to do like maybe one a week or so. I just find like the top song that I loved and I'd put it out there. Uhm, yeah and I'd also just say: keep writing. I definitely advocate for writing your own music. You know, it's okay to have someone else write it. But honestly - when you write your own music, you get a lot of the power in when it comes to writing. Like this, where I have to make a reimagined version because something happens. I maybe would take my lyrics and my melody, and I can find a different producer and make something different. And I think there's something very powerful in like writing your own music. It's exciting.


Exactly!

For sure.  


I've been writing songs so much! Honestly, there's been one song which I have been working on. I wanted to find a producer, but my problem was that I couldn't find a producer. So the song then turned into a short film...

I love that, I love that! No, your short films are amazing! 


Kayshawn Mccoy


Thank you!

I watched the one about Coronavirus and everything. I loved watching it, it's so good!


You've been doing music since you were really young. Do you think that making music or singing for a longer period of time has a positive effect on your voice?

Honestly, I think I'm a lot better than I was when I was 18.


Yeah?

Yeah, I think you just continue to learn and you know - the vocals, your vocal chords are like muscles. Just like if like you're working out you're having to like build that muscle. So you have to learn like the different tricks and things. And learning how to, you know - warm up your voice before you go in and start a song 'cause it's not really you just sing something. So I'm learning like all the tricks and the traits, it's a lot of fun for sure. 


And could you imagine to become a full-time singer in the future? Because you go to college, right?

Yes! College is definitely, like I just wanted to make sure if I couldn't make it happen I've got a plan. 

Kayshawn Mccoy\"s High School graduation



Right.

I would love it if I got a record deal and I could make this my one and only thing. And it's cool to have like my degree in my pocket 'cause I think education is something that no one can take away from you. 


Exactly!

Yeah! And I just wanted to be able to say like: Yes I went to college, yes I made my straight As and I got my degree and now here I am as a singer and have a record deal. So that would be really really cool.


That's great. I think the competition is also really hard nowadays. 

Absolutely!


I mean, you want to have those dreams but sometimes you gotta have a secure way you know - but also stick to your plan!

Absolutely - yeah, hahah for sure! I mean honestly, the competition is like one thing that I've always been absolutely clear of when it comes to people who are just always like in the "competition mode". 'Cause I'm the person I just feel like we all have a place in this industry. So, I have friends who are singers who also do Pop or closer to my genre. So, I'm just like "I'm here to support you, you're here to support me. Let's just like come up together"- type thing. But there's defintely like a competition and tying to like find your spot and be like "the one that gets that record deal", for sure.

Kayshawn Mccoy photographed by Emmy Kienast


Yeah, and I especially think everybody has something that is meant to be to happen. So that's why you should go for it.

Yeah, absolutely! Everyone has a place, I always say that. I think the industry is so big snd people listen to all sorts of music. So, you don\"t have to be able to say or try to say "Hey, like only I can make it". It's just not really like reasonable.


Exactly.

'Cause people listen to all sorts of different things. 


Yeah! And I think your have a really unique style. That's what I love about your music! It's really unique and stands out. It's so special!

Thank you so much! Hahah, thank you - I appreciate that! 


And I love the cover art, it's amazing!

Yes! I worked with @lr31o , this is my second time working with him. He did the Save Your Love cover. And I knew for the next time if I had to do a reimagined version, I wanted to bring him back and kinda have like that full circle nostalgic moment of back when I was 18 putting out music. And so, he was just so nice enough to be like "Yeah, I'll do it". And I'm just glad he's on it, for sure. 



And the process of making the song and making the cover - everything that goes into it: How do you find all those people to turn this amazing project to what it is right now?

Yes, absolutely! Well, I love to work with people that I know. And so, definitely for like the teaser videos, you see, I worked with Caitlyn McGonigal. We went to High School together! And I just kept up with her work and watching her on Instagram - and I was like "Hey, I have this idea!". And she like showed me the preview of what she thought it could be. And I loved it! And so, I always reach out to her first when it comes to the teasers. In terms of my cover art, one of my best friends, he's actually a photographer - Will Williams. And so, we're always thinking like: "Okay, with this song...what can we do? Where can we go location wise?" - and things like that. So for the first Heartbreak Hotel, he was actually the one who shot that cover in the hotel lobby.


Kayshawn Mccoy



Really? 

Yes!


That looks so good!

Thank you, hahah!! It's so cool because basically my team of people that I work with are all my friends or people that I can just like text real quick and be like "I wanna drop this song, can you help me put it together?" - type thing. 


That's great! It's really good - especially if you have this cycle. Because it's really personal but at the same time you can say whatever you want, kind of.

Yes, hahah absolutely! 


Did you already get a chance to perform your song live? I mean, it came out a few days ago but what about your different songs? I've seen that you've been performing at a fashion show!

Yes! I have not gotten a chance to perform this one live and I'm so sad about that in the moment. I know for sure when I do get to perform it, I think I wanna keep it basically the same as the song in the first time - and have like that big chorus, big production. So, right now I'm looking for more like bandmates and like guitarists, pianists - people like that. That's just really important. But I'm super excited for the day that I get to! You know, right now with Covid and everything I'm tryna like - you know, keep it safe. And once the opportunity does come up where I can perform it safely, I would love to do so! I wanna peform all of the songs all at once. But my school, they actually do like an end of the year festival and I always get invited to do it. And so, fngers crossed it happens this year. But I would love to perform the songs there.


Kayshawn Mccoy performing his song at Oblique Magazine\"s Fashion show photographed by Kent Lin


That's great. And how did that happen - performing at the fashion show? Did you get a message or..?

Well, it's a crazy story! Everything's kinda connected. One of my teachers - I was in a Tai Chi class and he actually works for this magazine called "Oblique Magazine". And he was a photographer for them and he was like "Hey, I have this lady, her names Q. She does so much for the magazine, I want you to meet her". And so, I meet her and she has this idea for me to perform at the fashion show and so we like have a meeting about it: What's my song I'm gonna sing? What will I be wearing?...


Yeah!

Hahah, and it was just so much fun! That fashion show, that was the first time I feel like I wasn't nervous. And it kept me like kinda - it happened just so fast, I had to get on the runway and like "I'm performing!" haha. And now it's done and I'm like "Oh, you guys thought I did really well?". Like "Okay, great 'cause I blacked out" - type thing. 


Oh!

Yeah.. it's just like, you get so in the zone - you're doin' it and then it's over. But that basically how that happened. Just connections in my classes. I'm at citywise Charleston, it's very much like: full of talented people, full of people - you know -  doing all sorts of different jobs in the industry.


That's what I thought!

Yeah! I'm very blessed, I'm very blessed. 


Honestly, the story with the fashion show kind of reminds me of my story. One day I was walking in the mall and there was this lady talking to me and asking me if I wanted to walk for her fashion show ( a hair fashion show ) - and I was like "Wow - that is amazing, honestly!"

Yeah!! It happens like that sometimes, that's cool!!


And growing up in Charleston, are there a lot of inspirations coming from into your music?

Definitely! Well, I didn't grow up here but this is what I moved for college. And so, I think basically like I started music in Charleston. This is where I made the EP, I made Save Your Love and now I've also made Heartbreak Hotel reimagined and Heartbreak Hotel! So, it's so weird this is the only place I know when it comes to making my music. So it's very inspirational. I'm always going on like these nightwalks because that's when I get really inspired. Everything I make is pretty much like nighttim(y), very cloud(sy).


Kayshawn Mccoy photographed at Ice and Pan in Charleston



I love that!

Hahah, thank you! 


It's kind of surreal at night.

Yeah! It really is. And just, Charleston is so beautiful and I love going on like rooftops and just like looking at the city. And it helps me to just like write my lyrics. I love to be dramatic in that way hahah, and just on the rooftops.


Hahah, that's great! And what was the process of making Save Your Love? That is an amazing song too - all of your songs are amazing!

Thank you so much! Honestly, wait - Save Your Love...when did I made that? Back in 2017 actually, it was kind of a thing - so I just had put the EP out. And, wait - so this was 2018. Yes, it was 2018! I put the EP out, and then like two days later my producer is like "Let's go back into the studio". So we had so many different productions, like ideas going. And we didn't know what was good, what was bad. And he started this vibe on like this track - for like what you hear now in the beginning with like the first verse. And I'm like "Okay, I love this...pick up the phone, 'cause I'm at home". And so, I'm sitting there - we didn't even finish it all at once. I had the verse, I had the pre-chorus and then we had a completely different chorus. And we just kinda, we dropped it. We didn't even like..


Think about it.

Think about it! Like let it go for months, on end! So then it's summertime and I need to get another record out. And so, I'm sitting there and I'm like "Okay... what are we're going to do?". And I went through uhm.. just my like catalog of all my different songs that I am working on - and that was a look-out to me. And I'm like texting him like "Hey, I really think there's something here. Let's put it into the studio, I'll come up to Charleston again and let's finish it". And now we have Save Your Love - my biggest song yet - it's like the baby that's just not gonna stop..


That blew up!

Hahah yeah!

 

That's sick.

Thank you, thank you. Hahah!


I can't believe it, that is amazing!

It was definitely not expected 'cause it just kinda happened over night - like all this success when it comes to like my Spotify and everything. I had like 400 monthly listeners and then I woke up one morning - it was at 9000! 


Wow!

And I'm sitting there - I'm thinking it glitched hahah, I'm like "What's happening??". But Spotify found Save Your Love and put it on a Discover Weekly Playlist. It blew up and went to to everyone's Discover Weekly and it still is up there. Like, that's where all my streams are coming from - is from just Spotfy itself. So, I'm so grateful for that! 


Wow!!

Yeah, for sure. 


Kayshawn Mccoy photographed by Emma Kienast



You have an amazing fanbase - I've seen that. It kind of grows, right? Because you have so many "Swifties" haha!

Hahah! No it's crazy 'cause Taylor Swift is my biggest inspiration.


I know!

I think they loved that fact and so they gravitated towards my music 'cause they can kind of see her in it when it comes to writing and me writing my own songs and just wanting to really be in control of my like creative projects.


Yeah.

Yeah, it's like a mix of  "Swifties", friends, family and then you have just different people who come from Spotify who are just so excited about the next thing I do. But they're some of the nicest and most supportive people I've ever seen.


I've seen that!

Haha, it's insane! I'm so grateful and it's like one of those things I never allow myself to get used to because everything could be taken away. But it's just like in this moment, while they're being so supportive, it's like "Let's do it, let's put it out and let's just see where it goes from there".


Right. 

For sure.


And I mean, we have social media nowadays - we have Spotify, Instagram and everything. Just imagine: if all of that would be taken away one day, what would you do?

Honestly, hahah... honestly - I'd probably have to resort to the whole like, my degree. Just go straight into like hospital administration and-


Really?

Yeah, that's why I'm like "I need to get a degree". Just in case something like that happens, because you never know with the world right now like what's gonna happen haha...


Right.

So, I'm just like: You wanna have a plan to fall back on. But music is something that I can't just like stop - so I'm always gonna be writing, I'm always gonna be like performing and tyring to get my songs out to people even if it's something just like "Okay, I wrote this. It's not really for me but if you want it - I'll give it to you" - type thing. 


Yeah!

But, definetely if something was to happen where it's all taken away - it'd be crazy but I think I'd manage, for sure. 


Kayshawn Mccoy



Because I mean we've seen what is going on with TikTok, you know. And I think, there are also so many Youtubers who have created this platform - only on YouTube. And I mean, if you lost that in a day - what would you do? It's kind of crazy.

It is! It's like one of those things where it's just like: You have to have a plan. And yet, it's so great that we have these different like social media apps and things - but it's like "How long will it last?". And you just wanna be smart about everything that you do. So, you definitely don't wanna put all of your time and energy in like money coming from this one source of a thing. 'Cause you never know when it could  be like taken. 


Right. 

But fingers crossed - I hope TikTok doesn't go anywhere. I looove TikTok! 


Same, hahah! TikTok brings me such a positive vibe when I'm like really down. 

Yeahh! Honestly hahah, I mean it's just like - I sit on TikTok and be like "Alright guys, I'm going on it for a bit". And I'm sitting and I'm watching TikToks til 3 am... and it's bad, it's so bad. But I loove TikTok. 


Same, it puts me into a good mood, haha!

Yeah, hahah absolutely! 


And are you currently also working on any upcoming projects? 

I am!


Or working on a music video!

Well, I wanted a music video so badly. I think right now it's about finding the right like videographer for it. And so, I'm always the type of person - I'm a perfectionist. So everything I do, every aspect - I want it to be big, I want it to look like-


Same!

whoever it sees. So it's like, until I found the one who can do that - it's like I just hold off. But we are working on a new single called Almost Famous. Can't believe I just said that...


Really??

It's called Almost Famous.


Hello guys, listen up! 

Hahah! We'll see when that one comes out. But I have to get back in the studio and like finish it. But it's actually my favorite - I think of all of them so far. I said that everytime I'd put out a new one, but it's honestly true. I've just always loved to make something I'm obsessed with. And hopefully -





Well, they're all good..

Yeah, hahah thank you so much! Thank you.


That's cool.

But, yeah. I'm so excited about it. So there's that. And then uhm.. hopefully I'm gonna be - hopefully on Outer Banks I should be like, I wanted to do some like extra work again. And so, they're filming here. So, I wanna try to apply and go and work on the set and just get some more experience with that. 'Cause they're filming right here in my area. So it's like a lot of fun to live here. So, kinda want to get back into the acting world. So hopefully that's like something that takes off. 



Yeah! Are there a lot of opportunities for artists in Charleston since you're currently living there? Or are you already planning on moving to another place in the near future, for example New York or L.A.?

I would love to move to L.A. - that would be the dream. I love it here tho, so I don't know how long I would stay here. But if the opportunity came where someone was like "We wanna give you this deal/ We want you to be on the show" or something - I would move, in a heartbeat. It'd be one of those things, but yeah - that's always like in the cards. But then, Charleston's very much so like I said: Like if you're an artist here, it's very much musically inclined. So you can find guitarists, whoever you need. And we have a bunch of different venues and places here that - once Covid's like, you know the cases start declining - you can start to just like perform and it's just so much fun!


Have you already been to L.A.?

I haven't. I wanna go so badly! I know a bunch of people from over there tho. You know like Chloe East and Preshington, different people in the area over there. 


How did you meet Chloe?

Instagram! We were like 12 years old and she's happen to talk to me and so from then on we just kinda kept our relationship. And she's actually been to Charleston and we hung out and like walked into different stores and things like that. But yeah, she's so cool. I always tell her, she's so cool.


Actress Chloe Monet East and Kayshawn Mccoy



I love her, Chloe is amazing!

Yeah! I love both of them, they're great.


Are there also a lot of auditions in Charleston when it comes to acting - since there are a lot of people who dream of living in Los Angeles in order to become an actor/ an actress!  - ?

Honestly, I don't think Charleston's like the area in terms of auditions like that. Definitely when it comes to like extra work like casting calls for extras likeon Outer Banks you can definitely do something like that. But when it comes to real auditions I definitely would say: be careful. We have a lot of scams in the area where people have to like pay money to get on a show or something. And that's not how that works. 


Really?

Yes! I'm always trying to educate people like "Okay, like this audition that you're going to in this hotel convention centre...", where they're saying like "Oh, you're gonna pay 2000$ and then we're gonna put you on that show"...


You should never pay.

Yeah! And I'm trying to explain to people like "That's not a real audition". So I definitely would just advocate for like L.A., New York - trying to find like places like that where you can audition. So, definitely once school is over and I have like more time to just leave and do my thing -  I wanna do something like that.


That's great. 

Thank you! I appreciate that .


Do you think that being signed to a record label is necessary? A lot of artists say that their creative freedom is getting limited or that the industry is changing them. What would you say?

Yeah.. it is. I mean like, record labels can be very tricky and you have to be very careful when you go into them. Because you can get caught up into something where you don't really have the creative freedom to do what you want or uhm.. you know - you kind of sell your masters over and that's like the whole like Taylor Swift talks about. And I really do believe in the idea that artists should own their own work.


Right.

And so, before I even - if I was to sign to a label I'd wanna have that conversation straight up before I sign anything. Yeah, I think I would love to be a part of a label under certain circumstances and if we could agree upon that -  I would do it. Because I think it's a lot better when it comes to the financial side of things, when it comes to making the music video, the music and if they can handle that for you. And I'm only one person, so kinda doing this on my own... it gets to be...


Hard..

Yeah! It's hard, you know making the music video and trying to do the business side. It makes everything kinda mechanical sometimes. And I just wanna do more about the art and the creative side for me. So, I'd love to sign to someone. I'm open to the opportunity, so... record label if you're listening: Please, hit me up!


Hahah, come -  we have Kayshawn!!

I'm here, I'm here hahah!


They want you, they just haven't found you yet!

Thank you that's SO nice! You're so kind.


Thank you! Kayshawn we also have a little quiz game at the end of this interview.

Ohhh, okay.


Are you ready?

I'm ready! No okay - I'm gonna want to ace it. 


Would you rather be in a movie with Sabrina Carpenter or perform with Taylor Swift?

Ohhhh, you did not do that with me!!


Oh I did, hahah!

Oh my gosh! You - these are two that I love so much. 


I know.

Uhm...I-I mean... maybe - I love Sabrina, I love Sabrina.. no one - no hate, I love Sabrina. I'm gonna go with Taylor because she's the reason I started music, so I wanna perform with Taylor. But, I'd love to be in a movie with Sabrina...hahah. 


I knew that this would come!

I knew that this would come, I did this so much.


But they're both amazing, that's true!

Yeah, they're - I love them both so much. I was actually listening to Sabrina's new song with Zara Larsson WOW, the remix. I loove Sabrina, just everything that she does and her work and just like.. she's just so hard working and everything that she makes is definitely in my alley of creative inspiration. So I just love what she's doing. And Taylor Swift so.. she is the music industry, for sure.


Exactly! And would you rather find true love or be a rich and famous singer?

Uhmm... I would, I mean like rich isn't fame..aren't important to me. I just want people to like know my music. And I feel like I'd be lonely if I did that and not have true love - so I'm gonna go with true love. 


Yeah, I would do the same thing hahah.

I'd rather have true love yeah, haha - for sure. 


True, because at the end of the day there's always going to be an option - you know...

Yeah, exactly! I feel like once you have true love you can always try to like make it happen for me in the industry. 


Exactly. And what's change you want to see or make in the world in the future?

Hmm.. well, I think for me I'd love for the world to be more understanding of people and minorities and groups who, you know, tend to have ideas or interests that are not what we call you know "the status quo" or what America's like used to. But even outside of America I just want us to love more, and understand each other more and allow people to have free will to do exactly what they want. I don't believe in the idea that one person should dictate what everybody else is doing. And so I just want us to have more love and understanding, compassion, equality and equity. And so, that would be really great to see. I think we'd be in a better place if we could just have those things. 


I love that, really.

Thank you, thank you so much. 


Kayshawn, I've been vlogging since this morning. I have my camera over here, you wanna say hi?

Yes! Hi to Selena's vlog, how's it going everybody? 


Hii!!

Hi, what's up guys!! 


You're in the vlog hahah!

Haha I'm in the vlog, I'm on it! 


You're in the vlog..

Yes, I made it.


I actually did a room makeover this morning because I moved into a new apartement, so you gotta be in that vlog!

Yesss, that's amazing! Congratulations, you're moving all up in the world hahah!


Yeah hahah! And honestly, if you're ever going on tour or perform live - you gotta invite me, I have to be a part of that show! I gotta come!!

Yes! Yes, you're coming definitely! I'm just gonna reach out to you and be like "Hey, are you in the area?" and be like happy all day long!


Right!

Absolutely!!


Kayshawn, that is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for talking today - it was so much fun!!!

Of course!! It was so much fun! Thank you so much for having me, I am honestly grateful for the opportunity and you just having like the interest to talk to me. So thank you so so much!


You're perfect Kayshawn! Your music is amazing, so: stream Heartbreak Hotel everybody, Kayshawn is amazing! Record Label: Kayshawn is here!

I'm open, I'm open hahah!! Thank you so much Selena!


I loved that Kayshawn, thank you for being on the show and taking your time - it means a lot to me!

Absolutely. Me too! Thank you so much, of course! 


And stay safe Kayshawn!

You as well, I talk to you soon! 


Yeah, bye!

Bye!!




Comments

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *